Saturday, August 1, 2009

Mental Blecchhies

This week I had a case of the mental blecchhies (see a few posts ago for the physical blecchhies). My body is working fine, but getting myself motivated, especially on the days with two training sessions, was a bitch. Knowing that I've only got about 6 weeks left and can't derail myself now, I asked a three friends who have about 8 Ironman finishes between them if they ever felt this way and what they did.

Thank goodness for friends! All three of them experienced the same thing, and all three got through it by telling themselves that it is ok to miss a workout every now and then. It is ok to substitute a chicken breast and Endurox with chocolate chip cookies and a mojito for a recovery meal.

So one night this week, after a pretty decent swim I walked to the nearest convenience store and went home with a pint of Ben & Jerry's. I don't even remember the flavor, but it was sooooo good. I, of course, ate the entire thing that night - all 1,000 calories of it.

Now it's the weekend and I'm feeling pretty good. The only thing on my training schedule was a recovery run, which I did with Meyer this morning. Tomorrow is another 5k race, and I'll be shooting for 19:30. Back in May my coach said he thought I'd be at 19:30 by the end of the summer. I laughed. Now that possibility isn't that far off. We'll see tomorrow.

1 comment:

Kim Klabe said...

Oh absolutely it's okay to skip a workout and have ice cream instead, you go!