Monday, September 29, 2008

Going Solo

A while back, a friend of mine asked why I trained by myself.

Simple answer: because I want to.

I've got plenty of opportunity to train with others - the Grove Park running club on Tuesday nights, an informal speed-work group on Wednesdays, another group that meets behind the outlets Thursday nights, and the long run group on Sundays. But I've found that running is my escape. It give me time to enjoy the solitude and just be alone with my thoughts. Much of my job as Fitness Director at the local YMCA is focused on customer service. I'm interacting with members throughout the day, as well as class participants when I teach classes and personal training clients of mine. When I want to "get away" I use running. At the Y we focus on the mind and soul in addition to the body. Running is my time to focus on all three. If I were to run with others, I would feel compelled to join conversations (or listen to them) or adjust my pace above or below what I really want to do.

My training time is my time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The road is my church,
sweat my prayers,
running my religion"

I can't even remember when I found it or where or even who said it, but it about sums it all up.

~Heather

Daniel said...

Awesome! I was giving thanks for this beautiful morning during my run and about 2 minutes later, I ran (almost literally) into you!