Friday, September 11, 2009

Thursday Recap

I seem to be updating in the morning, so I figure I'll just recap the previous day.

Woke up with a horrible stiffness in my neck. The beds and pillows at the hotel leave a lot to be desired. We got ready for the day, grabbed a bite to eat, and headed up State Street towards the capitol. We did a little tour of the capitol building since Meyer is a major political buff.

By the time we were done with the capitol, it was time to head to Monona Terrace (the center of all things Ironman) and check-in. The check-in process was incredible. I'm somewhat of an "event logistics geek" and I marvel at any event where every detail is thought through and well-planned. Ironman takes the cake.

Even though the check-in went smoothly, it still took about an hour, including a shopping trip to the Ironman store. Oh yes, I loaded up.

After a quick bite to eat for lunch, we retrieved my bike from the transport company. I was one of the first in line, so it went very quickly. We took Baby Blue back to the hotel, changed clothes and went for a little run. It was great to have Meyer run with me. We did a little of the run course, including one of the big hills that I'll have to do twice on Sunday. It wasn't as bad a people have made it out to be.

A relaxing rest of the afternoon (shopping for Badger t-shirts for Meyer) and dinner at the Brathaus (right next to our hotel) led to being in bed by 8:30.

A good day.

1 comment:

Kim Klabe said...

I am so thinking of you Daniel. May the tri-Gods be with you. Wishing you speedy feet, a sleek swimming body and wings on your bike. If you can fit a smile in, even better. You have much to celebrate! Namaste!