Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Eureka! (again)

I haven't posted in about a week, mainly because I've felt a little derailed in my training.

I was talking about it this morning with my friend Heather, who is also a triathlete, and we got on the subject of the "Eureka!" workout. You know the kind. Everything falls into place and you just feel great about it. When training has been off-kilter for a while, the eureka workout can bring you right back to where you need to be.

Tonight I had a eureka workout. It was a 15-minute warm up, then 4 x 1 mile repeats in HR Zone 4 with 3 minutes recovery between each, then 20 minutes of cool down. Since the streets are still a mess from the recent snow, I did it all on a treadmill. My mile splits were right around 6:45. And my recovery was good. The only problem I had was going slow enough to get my HR back down for the cool down. I kept wanting to go faster.

So hallelujah! I feel like I'm back on track. I've got a short recovery run tomorrow morning and a swim session tomorrow night. And the coach is going to videotape me so we can begin to really work on whatever it is that's holding me back with the swimming. I have a feeling he's going to be surprised at what a disaster my form is, but at least he'll know exactly where I'm at with the swim. It isn't pretty, but at least it'll give us a jumping off point for improvement.

No comments: