Thursday, March 19, 2009

Retirement? Permanent Vacation?

I took a week of vacation last week. While cruising around the Caribbean I thought to myself, “I could get used to doing this all of the time.”

And when I realized that I was nailing every training session my coach had planned for me last week I thought, “I need to be doing this all of the time.”

I wasn’t wild about the cruise ship’s outdoor track (dodging other passengers, hurdling deck chairs) so I did my running on the treadmill. My cycling was done on a LifeFitness RevMaster, which I’d never ridden before. While I like the StarTrac Spinner, the RevMaster was nice, with a bar that simulates aero bars and a computer that picked up my HR monitor and also displayed cadence.

Granted, my coach set this up as a recovery week, but I still had one session per day. He also knew that I wouldn’t have access to a lap pool, so it was all cycling and running.

And now that I’m back from vacation and back to work, I’m once again finding it difficult to hit those sessions with the same regularity and intensity as I did last week.

Guess I gotta keep on buying those lottery tickets.

No comments: