Thursday, February 5, 2009

Bike HR Test Set

A month ago my coach performed a running heart rate test set to set my heart rate training zones. It involved running on a treadmill at progressively faster speeds an checking my heart rate at regular intervals.

Yesterday we did a bike test set with essentially the same concept. We set my bike up on a Computrainer, did a bunch of calibrations (which I didn't understand but I guess I didn't need to), and then went at it. We set the tension to a particular wattage and I rode at 18mph for three minutes, again checking my heart rate every minute. After two minutes rest, we upped the wattage. We did this about six times until we got up to 300 watts and I couldn't hold 18mph for more than a minute.

The best part about the session was that I got to ride my bike to and from my coach's house. It was only two miles each way, but it was the first time since last summer I'd been on my bike outside. Yes, it was chilly (windchill of 21) but it felt great!

No comments: