Monday, January 26, 2009

Stopping Sucks


Several times in the past few days, the notion of "it hurts but I'll just work through it" has come up. It came up twice in consultations I did and once in a general conversation with a member at the Y. All of these people who tended to ignore pain and work through it are or used to be runners.

So it was a little weird during my run on the treadmill today when I started having some shin pain. I haven't experienced this in a while and it was a little surprising. When my shins gave me trouble during my marathon training, I worked through it and it usually went away after a few minutes. About 10 minutes into my run today, that ol' familiar feeling hit - and hit quite hard. I decided to run through it since I was only doing 40 minutes total. By minute 17 the pain still had not subsided and actually had gotten worse. So I stopped.

I know I probably did the right thing and am avoiding potential injury, but there's no doubt about it...

Stopping sucks.

No comments: