Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Psyched Out

I got my first four weeks of my training program today. My first thought was, "alright, this is going to be hardcore and will put me in the best condition of my life."

Then reality set in.

I'm not a strong swimmer. In fact, I'm not even a good swimmer. I've been working on my technique but I know I have a very long way to go before I'm even remotely efficient in the water. So when I saw my swim workout for today, I realized that the distance was more than twice what I'd been doing lately and that I was supposed to time myself for several parts of it. (And this was all after doing a running workout today.)

I panicked.

I completely psyched myself out to the point of being sick. I feared not being able to do the workout. I feared having to tell my new coach that I couldn't do what he wanted me to do. My fear got the better of me.

I'm dreading having to tell this to my coach. It's only my first week and I've already let him down. Worse, I've already let myself down.

I feel like crap.

I have to make tomorrow different.

No comments: