Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Chugging Along

Once again, I've let a couple weeks go by without a post.

Last week I was in Orlando for a YMCA conference. The conference was great, but the lap pool at the hotel was always crowded and the temperatures were in the mid 90's so it was difficult to get any kind of training in.

Sunday I went for a 3 1/2-hour bike ride (60 miles) followed by a 40-minute run (only got in about 4 miles). I did a simple out-and-back for the ride. I had a headwind on the first 30 miles so I only averaged about 15.4 mph. On the way back, I averaged over 20 mph. It felt really good, although I had to take a nap afterwards.

Tonight, being Wednesday, was another speed work night. The workout was 8 half-mile repeats, with 2 minutes recovery between each. The idea is do the first one at a moderate pace and decrease the time on each one, with the last one being the fastest. I did well, and my 6th was actually my fastest - 2 minutes, 54 seconds.

My left calf has been a little tight, even with lots of stretching, but we'll just see how that goes.

No comments: