Sunday, October 5, 2008

Things I Learned Today

I ran 17 miles today - my longest run yet! Here are some things I learned:

1) If you're older than a third grader, it'll take you at least 10 minutes to figure out how to set the 1-mile-lap-alarm feature on your Garmin Forerunner. If you're a third grader, it'll probably take you about 30 seconds.

2) Don't let your mind wander. Your legs will slow down.

3) Once you get Rhianna's "Shut Up and Drive" in your head, it will not leave.

4) If someone who has actually finished an Ironman passes you on the trail, don't try to keep up with him.

5) Other runners around North Shores all say, "Good morning." Very few cyclists in Lewes wear helmets. All drivers in the area have no respect for runners or cyclists on the road.

6) When you start getting tired, focus on your cadence and keep it smooth. That'll keep your speed up.

7) No matter how long the run is, the last mile is always the toughest.

Today exceeded my expectations. I felt very good throughout the run (and afterwards) and ended up averaging 8:27 per mile.

No comments: